Sunday 16 June 2013

The Great Gatsby #MiniReveiw

Hello Lovelies!

Recently I went to the little cinema across the road from my Dad's, it's called The Palace Cinema Longridge. We went to go and see The Great Gatsby which is a new film starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, Tobey Maguire, Elizabeth Debicki, Joel Edgerton and Isla Fisher directed by Baz Lurman director of Moulin Rouge and Romeo and Juliet. I really like Lurman's previous films his style is beautiful, he likes to mix things up like setting Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet in modern day but keeping the same script and language and in Moulin Rouge adding modern music to the 1900 backdrop. In Gatsby Lurman has put the work by F. Scott Fitzgerald with music combining Jazz with more hip hop and modern music, this doesn't sound like it will work but oddly it does!


Image from here

Speaking of the music, I got my hands on the soundtrack and there are a couple of songs which I really love:

Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Ray - Listen here

Love Is Blindness by Jack White - Listen here

Crazy In Love (Kid Koala Version) by Emeli Sandé and The Bryan Ferry Orchestra - Listen here
(It reminds me a bit of this don't ask me why!)

Bang Bang by Will.I.Am - Listen here

Love Is The Drug by Bryan Ferry - Listen here



I have not read the book so didn't really know what to expect, Gatsby appeared to live this fine life and through wild parties each week but nobody saw him. DiCaprio plays the title role and plays it really well, he seemed to have like a catchphrase or saying that he said all the time "Old Sport" and he lived in this beautiful HUGE house with a little cottage next door which is where Maguire's character lives and who is the cousin of Daisy (Mulligan) who is married to Edgerton's Character who is sleeping with Fisher's character and Debicki is friends with Daisy. This film is about love, lies and living for the moment. In the roaring twenties, full of wild nights and jazz music, the costumes, make up and sets were just so beautiful I couldn't take my eyes of the screen! I really enjoyed this film and might even give the book a read!

Here is the trailer




ttfn

Megs

xx

P.S Did anyone spot Mr Lurman in the film? Keep your eyes peeled!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment